The Video Game industry has slowly become one of the biggest means of entertainment, and with the huge demand and the need for perfection in even a simple downloadable title, development teams need large amounts of resources to fund their projects. To help you get the picture, a simple XBLA or SEN title will roughly cost around $1 or $2 million to develop, and a disc based game will roughly cost ten times as much. Indie developers and small development teams who tend to make 'different' or 'niche' titles will find funding their projects harder, and at this day and age, with the market oriented to a handful of genres, things are getting worst. Double Fine has just the solution which best suits the fans and the team in every possible way, by collecting donations from the fans themselves they can create the perfect game for the fans, a game funded by the fans and made entirely for the fans. A small team leaded by Tim Schafer will start working on a point and click adventure game (a genre that is deemed by publishers as 'dead') adapted with the modern technologies available. Fans will be able to donate from $15 up to $150000 (or more) for the project, and every contributor will get to see the progress of the project and can give his opinion to help the game get better. Extra rewards based on the value of the contributions are outlined below;
- $15 or more: A copy of the finished game through Steam, access to the Beta version on Steam, access to the making of videos, and access the private discussion community.
- $30 or more: HD download of the making of videos with extras, Digital version of the OST, and all previous rewards
- $100 or more: Exclusive “Double Fine Adventure” poster, special thanks in the game’s credits, and all previous rewards.
- $250 or more: Exclusive “Double Fine Adventure” Poster autographed by Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, and the rest of the design team, and all previous rewards.
- $1,000 or more: Mini portrait of the donator painted by the game's artist, and all previous rewards.
- $5,000 or more: Large original artwork used in the final game, and all previous rewards.
- $10,000 or more: A Lunch with Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert, an exclusive tour of the Double Fine offices, and all previous rewards.
- $15,000 or more: A Dinner with Tim Schafer and key members of the development team, and all previous rewards.
- $20,000 or more: A Dinner and A Bowling session with Tim Schafer and key members of the development team, and all previous rewards.
- $30,000 or more: A Picture of Ron Gilbert smiling, and all previous rewards.
- $35,000 or more: An unedited picture of Ron Gilbert smiling, and all previous rewards
- $50,000 or more: Become an actual character in the game, and all previous rewards
- $150,000 or more: Tim Schafer himself will give the last four remaining Triangle Boxed Day of the Tentacles, still sealed, and all previous rewards.
This must be the most awesome project in terms of fan service, it shows how much passion this team has in creating amazing games that will end up becoming a favorite it the hearts of many people. If you would like to make a donation or learn more about this project click here!